Thursday, September 25, 2008

In the beginning

Sometime during this last winter somewhere between the mounds of falling snow and sub degree weather I decided I needed a vacation. Some place warm.

Naturally I thought about going out west. Perhaps visit some friends I haven't seen in awhile. Like my friend John who currently lives in Portland. I've been telling him I would come out there and visit for the past three years. It's about time I follow through.

I figured while I'm out there why not check out San Francisco, I rather enjoyed the city last time I was there.

How do I get from Portland to San Fran?

Well I don't have a car, and I am pretty cheap....Why don't I ride my bike!

And so it began.

After some thought I figured why stop in San Fran. Why not keep going, maybe down to L.A. My friend Richard lives down there, and I haven't seen him in a few years.

Shit. If I'm going to ride all the way from Portland to L.A. mine as well start in Seattle. I've heard great things about the city and I've always wanted to visit. Now would be the time. And so it was set, I'm going to ride from Seattle to L.A. on my bicycle.

This is going to be one hell of a trip!

Some time went by and winter DRAGGED on and all the while I kept this west coast ride in the back of my mind.

Summer arrived as it always does, and Milwaukee awoke from a bitter cold hibernation. And believe me, I took advantage of all she had to offer.

Man I love summer in Milwaukee!

Slowly I started telling friends about my plans to ride. Most of them thought I was crazy, but still all supported me. "As they always do on my crazy adventures"

One especially seemed interested....Enter Simeon

Maybe too interested I thought. "Hmmm, Simeon needs a vacation" I told myself.

Thus began the relentless badgering to convince Simeon that he needed to do this tour with me.

Slowly....and I mean slowly he started to come around. And soon the trip was being planned.

"Why don't we start in Canada." I told him "I heard Vancouver was the shit."

Hell must have froze over that day, because to my astonishment he agreed.

Soon we figured it was a must that we go to Mexico.

So there you have it, Canada to Mexico. Three country's, 2000 miles, on bicycles!

And so, it begins......

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Che Josh!!! How are you there man!!??
Amazing Blog!! REally nice experience!! I wish I have those times like there in europe, touring!! You should try comming down here to Argentina and do biking on "7 lakes route" south on Patagonia, next to Chile!! Well..for next time dude!! Gastón!!